Old Town Brunswick National Register District
Brunswick GA 31520
Glynn County Courthouse is a contributing structure in this district
Old Town Brunswick Brunswick, Georgia
Old Town Brunswick is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. General Oglethorpe founded the city of Brunswick. The city is named after the ancestral home of King George II- Braunsweig, Germany. "G" Street marks the northern boundary and 4th Avenue is the southern boundary of the Old Town Historic District. The streets lay in a grid pattern that includes 14 historic squares surrounded by several historic buildings.
Old City Hall was designed by Albert S. Eichberg and is located at 1229 Newcastle Street. The Richardsonian Romanesque structure was built circa 1888.
The historic Glynn County Courthouse, built in 1907 is located at 701 G Street.
The Lissner House is located at 1319 Union Street. The house was built circa 1907 by J.J. Lissner and currently hosts the Downtown Development Authority and museum.
The McKinnon Houses at 1201 and 1203 Union Street were built in 1910.
The Queen Anne Tupper House was built in 1895 at 1128 Union Street. Captain Tupper lived there briefly before moving to a house with larger rooms right across the street.
The Murray House, circa 1896, is located at 1112 Union Street. This house is a well-preserved example of the typical American "I" house.
The Rose Manor Guest House is currently a tearoom and guest home. It is located at 1108 Richmond Street and was constructed in 1889.
At #8 Hanover Square, you will find the Burroughs-Hazelhurst House, circa 1870s. The house is a classic example of Second Empire, an architectural style that originated in France to avoid high taxes.
Frank D. Aiken built the Aiken House in 1908 and it remained within the family for the next four decades. The spacious home contains many fascinating architectural accessories. It is located at 1015 Union Street.
The Whitmire House and Wright House are at 601 Prince Street and 905 Union Street, respectively. The two Queen Anne houses that mirror each other were built for a brother and sister in 1890.
The Lott-Parker House, at 827 Union Street, has remained within the same family since it was built in 1900.
For Italian Renaissance style, see the Church House at 815 Union Street. The house was built in 1929 and originally served as the home for the president of the Georgia Veneer and Package Company, A.L. Church.
At 811 Union Street, you will find the duBignon-McCullough House, circa 1869. Another example of Second Empire style, this house is one of the oldest remaining homes in Brunswick. The Welsh-Parham House at 801 Union Street is one of the few homes in Brunswick to have a partial basement. Built in 1907, it is a two-story Craftsman style home.
The magnificent Tudor design Dunwoody House sits at 729 Union Street. The house was built in 1897 and the brick veneer was added in the 1930s.
The only home in Brunswick to have a full basement is the duBignon-Lockwood House at 721 Union Street. The Queen Anne home was built circa 1896.
The Leavy House, circa 1903, at 705 Union Street was built as a twin to its neighbor.
The Debellis House is located at 508 First Avenue. Thought to have been built sometime in the 1860s, this is one of the oldest residential buildings in Brunswick.
At #1 Frederica Square stands the Baumgartner House. No nails were used in the construction of this home in 1890- only wooden pegs.
The Brantley House, circa 1890, at 807 Dartmouth Street was rendered unrecognizable by the 1898 hurricane and following reconstruction.
The duBignon Family built the duBignon House in 1890 at 716 Union Street and is a standard example of Folk Victorian architecture.
The Thompson House at 812 Ellis Street was originally built in 1890 on Ellis Street. The house was moved to its current location in 1984. This "shotgun" house is also an example of Folk Victorian architecture.
The Major Downing House at 825 Egmont Street hosts a bed and breakfast inn now. It took two years to build the house circa 1886.
At 902 Halifax Square, the Baker House was built in 1896. It is a Queen Anne structure. Originally facing Halifax Square, theWhittle-Sims House was remodeled to face its Prince Street. Its renovation in the 1920s also changed its architectural style. Despite its almost total metamorphosis, the house at 1102 Prince Street dates back to 1897.
Captain Lamb built the Lamb House at 1110 Prince Street for his bride in 1895. The captain has been credited with bringing the first camellia to Glynn County.
The Ferguson House, circa 1912, is located at 1200 Prince Street.
The house at 900 Carpenter Street is an example of the Stick style of architecture. The Nightingale-Hughes House was built circa 1875 and still has the original detached kitchen. The Cook House at 908 Union Street was not originally built there. Built sometime before 1860 somewhere in South Carolina, the house reputedly traveled down the Altamaha River to its present location.
The Dexter House at 928 Union Street is another example of Stick design. It was built in the late 1870s.
The Atkinson House at 802 London Street is the twin to 902 Wright Square. Originally built in 1890, it was rebuilt when it partially burned in 1929. It again experienced renovation in the late 1970s when the columns were removed from the front porch.
Built of cypress wood, the Nightingale House stands at 803 London Street. It was built circa 1895.
The McKinnon House, at 1001 Egmont Street, was built in 1903.
The first federal judge in Glynn County, Frank M. Scarlett, was born at 902 Wright Square in the Scarlett House. Built in 1890, its twin is located at 802 London Street.
The Burford House was built circa 1887 at 1017 Egmont Street.
Currently called the "Veranda House," the Marlin House was built in 1890 at 1325 Egmont Street.
Known as the finest example of Carpenter Gothic architecture in Georgia, the Mahoney-McGarvey-Trendition House stands at 1705 Reynolds Street. The house was built in 1891. The Mahoney and McGarvey names come from families who resided in the house. Trendition is the name of a store that was located in the house more recently.
Advent Christian Church, 1812 Ellis Street
First African Baptist Church, 1416 Amherst Street
First Baptist Church, 708 Mansfield Street
First Bryant Baptist Church, 1100 F Street
First Presbyterian Church, 1105 Union Street
St. Anthanasius Episcopal Church, 1321 Albany Street
St. Francis Xavier Church, 510 Howe Street
St. Marks Episcopal Church, 900 Gloucester Street
St. Paul A.M.E. Church, 1520 Wolfe Street
Shilo Baptist Church, 1221 Egmont Street
Temple Beth Tefilloh, 1326 Egmont Street: this was the first temple designed by a Jewish architect, Eichberg, in America
Entertainment The Ritz Theatre was built in 1898 at 1530 Newcastle Street to house the Grand Opera House, retail stores and general offices. It was converted into a movie theater in the 1930s and renamed The Ritz.
Schools Glynn Academy was founded in 1788.
Squares Machan Square Jekyll Square Queen Square Hanover Square: the original site of the municipality of Brunswick when city was first founded in 1771. Confederate soldiers and city leaders destroyed most everything during Civil War, as they evacuated the city. The city slowly rebuilt after the Civil War. A confederate memorial is located within the square. King Square Crispen Square St. Simons Square Frederica Square Satilla Square Halifax Square Wright Square Hillsborough Square Blythe Square Hillary Square
Historical Markers Civil War Memorial- Hanover Square Mark Carr Plantation Site- 600 block of Union Street, Mark Carr was Brunswick's first settler, he established his plantation in the 1740s Hart Family Colonial Homestead- intersection of 4th Avenue and Lanier Boulevard Lovers Oak- 800 block of Albany Street Sidney Lanier- 1000 block of Albany Street Oak Grove Cemetery- 1500 block of Mansfield Street: this was the original cemetery for Brunswick and still has one wooden tombstone Glynn County Courthouse- 600 block of G Street Lanier's Oak- 1600 block of Highway 17 World War Two Liberty Ship Model- intersection of U.S. 17 and St. Simons Island Causeway
Related Sites: Glynn Academy Glynn County Courthouse Old Glynn Academy Building Sidney Lanier Lovers Oak New Town Brunswi
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.