365 Riverview Drive
Jekyll Island GA 31527
Sans Souci Club Cottage
Known as the J.P. Morgan Cottage because the Morgans, elder and younger, lived here, Sans Souci (Without Care), containing six apartments, was built in 1899 by a corporation of members of the Jekyll Island Club. Among the members who stayed here were: James J. Hill, St. Paul, Minnesota, president of the Great Northern System; Frederick G. Bourne, capitalist, Pierre Lorillard, Tuxedo Park, New York, tobacco magnate; J.A. Scrymser, New York, cable and telegraph promoter and a partner of J.P. Morgan in various enterprises; Robert G. Pyne, New York banker.
During the War Between the States the DuBignon family, fearing Union raids, left Jekyll Island, moving inland. After the war, John Eugene DuBignon returned to find his fields devastated and buildings destroyed. The plantation economy never recovered from the ravages and changes made by the war. In the early 1880s, DuBignon built his residence where Sans Souci now stands. In 1886 he sold the island to the Jekyll Island Club for $125,000 and became one of the original members. His home was known as the Club Cottage.
William Anderson, Henry Hyde, William Rockefeller, James A Scrymser, and Joseph Stickney funded the construction of the apartment building. Originally it contained six apartments which were occupied by syndicate and other members of the Club. The apartments including 3 bedrooms, a drawing room and a bathroom, and in the attic were 12 rooms to house servants. The staircase is serpentine and the windows are leaded.. The apartments also included Colonial details. It is located next to the Jekyll Island Club in the Jekyll Island Club Historic District at 365 Riverview Drive.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.