Wesley Oak (historic marker)
THE WESLEY OAK
Not far from this spot stood the "great tree" under which Charles Wesley had prayers and preached, March 14, 1736, the first Sunday after his arrival. There were about twenty people present, among whom was Mr. Oglethorpe. A year later, George Whitfield, appointed by the Bishop of London to serve as Deacon at Savannah and Frederica, wrote in his Journal (August 8, 1737): "In the evening we had pub- lick Prayers, and expounding of the second Lesson under a large tree, and many more present than could be expected." A wooden Cross made from a tree long designated as the Wesley Oak hangs on the wall of Christ Church near the pulpit.
063-34A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.