341 Riverview Drive
Jekyll Island GA 31527
The first resident of Mistletoe Cottage (15 rooms; 5 baths) was John Claflin, trustee of many financial and charitable corporations and Brooklyn merchant. He was negotiating with John Eugene duBignon to purchase Jekyll Island for himself when it was purchased by the Jekyll Island Club. He became an original member.
Henry Kirke Porter, Pittsburgh manufacturer of light locomotives, was elected a member of the Jekyll Island Club in 1891. He was a Member of Congress, 31st Pennsylvania District, 1903-1905.
Henry Kirk Porter, a manufacturer and United States Senator, built this cottage in 1900. It was designed by Charles Alling Gifford as a Dutch Colonial Revival, with elements of both shingle style and classical style. John Chaffin leased the home from Porter's estate in 1924 and two years later bought it and at his death was the last living character member of the Club. The Cottage is located at 341 Riverview Drive, in the Jekyll Island Club Historic District. Dutch Colonial Style, shingle style with classical elements, French doors facing west.
Senator Porter commissioned this cottage to be built. Built in the Dutch Colonial style, it also incorporates Classical elements. Functionality and aesthetics were provided by French doors facing the west. John Chaffin leased and then bought the home in 1926.
Contractor: Charles Alling Gifford 2 Stories.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.