St. Ignatius Episcopal Church
St. Simons Island GA 31522
St. Ignatius Episcopal Church St. Simons Island, Georgia
Back on Demere Road heading towards Frederica intersection, you will pass two churches on the left. St. Ignatius Episcopal Church was a mission church of Christ Church and was known as the “Chapel of Ease.” Anson Dodge, a part owner in the Dodge Mill, constructed this Gothic Revival style building in 1888. Just west of St. Ignatius is where the Levison brothers’ store was. Next on Demere Road is the St. Paul Baptist Church.
The mill workers living in Jewtown were very progressive and organized a labor union before it was popular nationwide. Oliver Lane still has about five houses that are around 100 years old and are typical of the homes from Jewtown Community.
Related: The Tabby House Gift Shop King Cemetery Old Slave Hospital/ Plantation House Ruins at Retreat Plantation St. Simons African American Heritage Coalition
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.