Jekyll Island Club Historic District
Jekyll Island GA 31527
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places on 01-20-72
Elevated to Historic Landmark District in 1978
Jekyll Island Club Historic District Jekyll Island, Georgia
The Jekyll Island Club was founded in 1886. It was to become a winter haven for AmericaŐs wealthiest families. Newton Finney, who married into Jekyll IslandŐs DuBignon family, was a member of a hunting club in New York. In an attempt to establish an exclusive hunting club in Jekyll Island, he imported wild game to the island and invited his fellow members from New York to visit. The new hunting club was a hit. He sold shares in this new hunting club for six hundred dollars a piece. The purchase of shares included a plot of land on the island. When the clubhouse became too crowded for the elite guests- families began to build their own villas on the island. The 240-acre site became a retreat for affluent families and their friends. Members of the Jekyll Island Club included Henry Hyde, Marshall Field, John Pierpont Morgan, Joseph Pulitzer and William Vanderbilt. The ClubŐs popularity continued through World War One and the Jazz Age, but membership dropped throughout the Great Depression. However, it was World War Two that sealed The ClubŐs fate. When the Jekyll Island Club closed its doors at the end of the 1942 season, they were never reopened.
Along with the clubhouse, chapel and stables, thirteen cottages were built between 1888 and 1928. The State of Georgia purchased the island in 1947 and opened it as a state park to the public. As of 1971, the Jekyll Island Club area has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. There are several historic markers illustrating the rich past of the area posted around the district. The stables serve as a museum and historic tours are offered frequently.
Related: DuBignon-Horton House Jekyll Island Wharf Jekyll Island Brewery Ruins Jekyll Island Dairy Barn Silo
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.