Horton House Ruins / Horton-DuBignon House / DuBignon-Horton House
Jekyll Island GA 31527
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places on 09-28-71
A Plaque Reads:
Preservation of these ruins was made possible through the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia in cooperation with the Jekyll Island State Park Authority.
A Sign Reads:
Horton House is one of only two pre Revolutionary tabby structures in the State of Georgia. Major William Horton was granted Jekyll Island by James Oglethorpe in 1738, and he has constructed the home by 1740. Horton was one of Oglethorpe's top military aids and was in charge of troops garrisoned at Fort Frederica on nearby St. Simon's Island. Horton farmed the island, producing crops to aid with supplying Ft. Frederica. Eventually, Horton added a warehouse to the site, of which remains still exist. The site also includes the cemetery of the DuBignon Family, which owned Jekyll from 1790-1886.
The Horton House has been in a threatened state for many years. Previous efforts to conserve the tabby have not been successful, and actually caused damage to the original material. The Friends of Historic Jekyll Island embraced the site as a project in 2000, and working with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Historic Preservation
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.