St. Simons Island GA 31522
Here in 1736, Oglethorpe settled a group of German Lutherans, known as Salzburgers, and their settlement was called the German Village. These Salzburgers made their living by planting, fishing, and selling their products to the Frederica settlers. When Oglethorpe's regiment was disbanded in 1749 the Salzburgers left St. Simons Island.
During the Plantation Era, the Wylly family lived here, their plantation being called "The Village".
Marker: Lawrence Road 1.1 miles northeast of Frederica Road on St. Simons Island.
St. Simons Neighborhoods St. Simons Island, Georgia
German Village was the original site of the German Salzburgers who populated the island during the early 1700s. After Georgia established itself as a British colony, most Salzburgers moved into the mainland. By the early 1800s the area was absorbed into Alexander Wylly's plantation called "The Village." Today all that is left is an historic marker located on Lawrence Road at Village Drive just 1.2 miles north of Frederica Road.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.