West Point Plantation
Plantation Ruins on Private Property St. Simons Island, Georgia
West Point Plantation belonged to Major William Hazzard. He was one of the first colonists to move to St. Simons Island. He was a major in the Revolutionary War and when he died in 1819, his son Colonel William Wigg Hazzard (rank earned in War of 1812 and the Mexican War) took over the plantation. When Colonel HazzardŐs brother, Dr. Thomas Fuller Hazzard, shot and killed another prominent resident of St. Simons Island, the Hazzard family was ostracized and stopped attending Christ Church. Instead, the Hazzard family built Pink Chapel in 1838. The family chapel was dubbed the ŇPink ChapelÓ much later referring to the pink lichen, Chiodecton sanguineum that covered the old tabby walls of the chapel ruins. The son of Colonel Hazzard, Captain William Miles Hazzard (Civil War rank) took over the plantation after his fatherŐs death and continued to live there until after the Civil War. Located on the west side of St. Simons Island, the plantation grounds have now been developed into a subdivision. Ruins of two tabby slave cabins and the Pink Chapel are incorporated into this residential neighborhood.
Related: Christ Church
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.