Elizafield Plantation and Cemetery Glynn County, Georgia
Much history has been told about the land of the Elizafield Plantation. Some believe this was a site of an ancient Creek village of Talaxe, others consider the area to be the location of a Spanish mission established in 1604. However, historians have documented that this site was used as a sugar mill. Dr. Robert Grant established his plantation along the banks of the Altamaha River in the early 1800s. He divided his property into three parts: Grantly and Evelyn hosted acres of rice, cotton and sugar cane fields along with housing for labor, Elizafield was home for the Grant family. Possession of the plantation was passed down from generation to generation. During the Civil War, those members of the family that were not fighting retreated to Tebleauville. After the war, the Grants did not return to the area, opting to live in Savannah and hire overseers to tend the plantation. The plantation buildings slowly disintegrated into ruins, while the family house burned to the ground. The grounds are home to the ruins that tell its history. There are tabby ruins considered to be part of the sugar mill built before 1825. The slave cemetery and Grant Cemetery contain the final resting places for those who lived, worked and died on Elizafield Plantation.
Related Sites: Altamaha-Brunswick Canal Altama/Hopeton Plantation Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation Needwood Church and School
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.