191 Old Plantation Road
Jekyll Island GA 31527
Shrady--James Cottage--"Cherokee Cottage"
This cottage has a total of 20 rooms plus 8 baths. There are 12 bedrooms, 2 kitchens (one for the servants), and a service elevator. It was erected around 1915 for Mrs. Hester E. Cantine Shrady, widow of Dr. George Frederick Shrady of New York (born 1837--died 1907). An eminent physician, Dr. Shrady was editor of the Medical Record, and Assistant Surgeon, U.S.A., during the War Between the States. He attended ex-President U.S. Grant, as consulting surgeon, in his last illness. Mrs. Shrady was the mother-in-law of Edwin Gould, who owned the cottage "Solterra" on Jekyll, was the son of the famous financier Jay Gould, who left an estate of over $60,000,000.
The cottage was last occupied by Dr. Walter Belknap James of New York (born in Baltimore 1858--died 1927). He was president of the Jekyll Island Club 1919-1927. He married Helen Goodsell Jennings, sister of Walter Jennings, also a president of Jekyll Island Club. Dr. James was a graduate of Yale, Johns Hopkins, and did graduate work in Germany and Austria. He was consulting physician, Bellevue Hospital, New York, and president of the national committee for Mental Hygiene.
The swimming pool in front of the former Club House was dedicated "in loving memory" to Dr. James, by the Jekyll Island Club.
1904. Cherokee was built by Edwin Gould for his in-laws, the Shrady's. It was later owned by Dr. W. B. James, a former President of the Club. There are engaged columns amidst three doorways featured in this Italian Renaissance style cottage. It is located at 191 Old Plantation Road next to Faith Chapel in the Jekyll Island Club Historic District.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.