Jekyll Island GA 31527
In 1861, Confederate battery positions on Jekyll Island were equipped with one 42-pounder gun and four 32-pounder navy guns en barbette, each having about 60 rounds of shot and shell. Casemates,, hot shot furnace and magazines are recorded, also. Of greater strength than batteries on St. Simons Island, the earthworks of palmetto logs, heavy timber, sandbags, and rail- road irons were mounted for the protection of Brunswick. February 10, 1862, Gen. Robert E. Lee requested permission from Gov. Joseph E. Brown to dismantle the stronghold as "the inhabitants of the island and Brunswick have removed themselves and property" to inland points. Maj. Edward C. Anderson re- moved the guns, sending them to Savannah. March 9, 1862, Lt. Miller of the USS Mohican landed a rifle company and marines, hoisting the Union flag over the isalnd. In January, 1863, to stregthen fortifications at Port Royal, S. C., a Federal force was sent by flatboat to seize the railroad irons.. Some of the men who had helped build the defenses guided the detachment to them and "the men enjoyed demolishing them far more than they had relished their construction."
063-38 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1959
Confederate Battery Jekyll Island, Georgia
Located on the north end of Jekyll Island, this area served briefly as a battery during the Civil War. The Confederate Army abandoned this site in early 1862 because most of the people it was designed to protect had moved farther inland. All that remains now is a historical marker to remind visitors of its existence. The marker is located on Riverview Drive south of the Horton House by the airport.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.