203 Old Plantation Road
Jekyll Island GA 31527
This auditorium was the Gould Casino during the Jekyll Island Club Era (1886-1942). It was built by Edwin Gould, son of Jay Gould, who lived at Chichota Cottage.
This playhouse contained, on the first floor, an indoor tennis court, lockers and restrooms, a bowling alley, rifle range, a bedroom. On the second floor were spacious, well furnished club rooms. Attached to the casino was a conservatory and a separate garden house.
The complex contained not only indoor tennis courts but also in an attached building was a bowling, indoor shooting, gym and card facilities. This building no longer remains but the building, which housed the tennis courts, lockers and showers, still stands. The remaining structure is located at 203 Old Plantation Road in the Jekyll Island Club Historic District by the Villa Marianna.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.