Morgan Tennis Courts
151 Old Plantation Road
Jekyll Island GA 31527
Morgan Tennis Court
Tennis, golf, bowling, croquet, polo, and skeet were the active sports during the existence of the Jekyll Island Club. “Bowling on the green” and croquet were played on the Club House lawn. The skeet and polo field were located beyond the Jennings Cottage. The Club’s facilities for tennis were exceptional. In addition to the three outdoor courts of native clay, there were two indoor courts, the John Pierpont Morgan and the Edwin Gould Tennis Courts. The Club maintained a tennis pro who was, for many years, Frank Bonneau.
This was the scene of many important tournaments. As a prime sport, tennis was established in 1911 when Richard Crane placed his cup for a mixed doubles handicap. This tournament was played during March. The Annual Invitation Men’s Doubles Round Robin was established in 1936, with a cup offered each year by Alanson B. Houghton, former Ambassador to London and Berlin. Winners of the trophy include Bernon S. Prentice, Alexander Thayer, G. Peabody Gardner, H.R. Guild, George A. Lyon, Armory L. Houghton, Cranston Holman, Julian S. Myrick, Watson Washburn, Robert P. Brown, Jr.
JP Morgan Jr. was key seeing the building and courts were erected after the Club’s Tennis Committee gave the go ahead for its construction. Its exterior is covered with cypress singles. It is located at 151 Old Plantation Road, Across from what is now the Sweet Shop, in the Jekyll Island Club Historic District.
Indoor Tennis Court
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.