381 Riverview Drive
Jekyll Island GA 31527
Jennings Cottage "Villa Ospo"
This cottage was erected in 1928 by Walter Jennings, capitalist of New York. It has a total of twenty rooms, including ten bed rooms, five baths, and coach house. A feature of the spacious cottage is the 24x40 foot paneled living room and the arched hallway leading to it. It also has a large patio with a lily pool and fountain.
Mr. Jennings was President of the Jekyll Island Club from 1927 to 1933. He was born in San Francisco on September 14, 1858, and died at his winter cottage at Jekyll January 9, 1933. His sisters, Mrs. Gordon Auchinclose, Mrs. Walter Belknap James, and Miss Annie Jennings, were also members of the Club.
Mr. Jennings was one of the first Directors of the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey and Secretary from 1908--1911; Trustee of the New York Trust Company; President, National Gas Company; Director, Bank of Manhattan. He was married in 1891 to Jane Pollock Brown. They had three children, Oliver Burr, Jeanette, and Constance.
He was a member of the University Club, Metropolitan Club of New York, and owned a stock farm in Long Island.
Originally owned by the director of Standard Oil, Walter Jennings, it is the only home to be built with a garage. It was completed in 1927. It is a mixture of Spanish Eclectic and Italian Renaissance styles. It now houses offices for the Jekyll Island Authority. It is located in the Jekyll Island Club Historic District at 381 Riverview Drive.
Originally owned by the director of Standard Oil, Walter Jennings, it is the only home to be built with a garage. It is a mixture of Spanish Eclectic and Italian Renaissance styles. Contractor John Russell 2 stories. 2 chimneys.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.