Plantation Ruins on Private Property St. Simons Island, Georgia
Couper Plantation on CannonÕs Point was next door to Hampton Plantation. John Couper bought it in 1792. Less pretentious than his neighbor, Couper still built a lavish 2-1/2 story house admired by many of his contemporaries. Besides having a beautiful home, Couper Plantation was the site of an exotic botanical garden resulting from CouperÕs clippings of plants from his travels around the world. As of a survey conducted in 1996, the Couper Plantation ruins were in the best shape of any plantation ruins on the island. However, the ruins are located on private property belonging to the Sea Island Company and there is no public access.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.