The Military Road was constructed in 1738. It connected Fort Frederica with Fort St. Simons on the south end of this island.
Military Road St. Simons Island, Georgia
Once known as the "King's High Road," the Military Road was constructed in 1738 to connect Fort Frederica, on the north end of St. Simons, to Fort St. Simons, on the south end. It was instrumental during the Battle of Bloody Marsh in 1742. The only part of Military Road that is still used is the section of Demere Road spanning from the site of the Battle of Bloody Marsh to Ocean Boulevard. There is Georgia Historical Marker detailing Military Road's history located about half a mile south of Christ Church on Frederica Road.
Related Sites- Fort Frederica Bloody Marsh Monument
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.