Old Post Road
OLD POST ROAD
This road, formerly an Indian trail which par- alleled the coast, was used by the Spanish and British. In 1778 it was traveled by Revolutionary soldiers who marched against Fort Tonyn. The first mail service south of Savannah was estab- lished over this road in 1763. Later it became a regular stagecoach route.
At Coleridge, a short distance north of the present Waycross Highway, Job Tyson main- tained a tavern for travelers along the post road. It was the only hostel between the Altamaha and Satilla rivers and was a regular stagecoach stop.
063-4B GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.