Captain Wylly Road
CAPTAIN WYLLY ROAD
There were two Captain Wyllys in the history of Jekyll. It is believed the road was named for Charles Spalding Wylly (1836- 1923), Captain in the Confederate Army, 1st Georgia Regulars, a descendant of Clement Martin, who was granted, on April 5, 1768, Jekyll Island by the Crown. His grandfather, Captain William Campbell Wylly, remaining loyal to the British General Prevost crossed the St. Marys and marched on Savannah. After the Revo- lution he moved to Nassau and was made Governor of New Providence. In 1807 he returned to Georgia, lived first on Jekyll, then St. Simons. Captain Alexander Campbell Wylly was born in Belfast in 1759, moving to Savannah from there.
This road is one of few that now bear names given by the Jekyll Island Club members. What is now Beachview Drive consist- ed of three shell roads: Morgan (for John Pierpont Morgan); Bourne (for Frederick G. Bourne, Director of Singer Sewing Machine Company and President of Jekyll Island Club 1914-1919); Lanier (for Charles Lanier, original member of Club, and President of Jekyll Island Club 1897-1913). He was a kinsman of Sidney Lanier, poet-author of "Marshes of Glynn."
063-29 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.