Poulain du Bignon and Du Bignon Burying Ground
POULAIN DU BIGNON AND DU BIGNON BURYING GROUND
This burying ground contains the bodies of several members of the du Bignon family, descendants of Le Sieur Christophe Poulain de la Houssaye du Bignon, native of Saint-Malo in Brittany. One of four Frenchmen, former residents of Sapelo Island, who purchased Jekyll Island in 1791. Poulain du Bignon became the sole owner a few years later.
In his youth du Bignon was an officer in the French army in India and served for years fighting against the domination of Great Britain. Later he commanded a vessel of war sailing under the French flag. He died in 1814 and was buried here near du Bignon Creek with a live oak tree as his only monument.
Sea Island cotton was the principal crop planted on the du Bignon plantations on Jekyll Island and a large acreage was devoted to its cultivation.
The du Bignon family owned Jekyll Island until 1886, when they sold it to a group of millionaires who immediately formed the famous Jekyll Island Club.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.