9 miles long, 1 1ŕ4 mile wide, 11 miles of beach.
Jekyll Island, Indian hunting and fishing ground, pirate stronghold, held by Spain for more than a century from 1566, was named by Oglethorpe to honor his friend, Sir Joseph Jekyll, of the Colony of Georgia. The great trees on this island are among “Georgia’s seven natural wonders”, the broad white beach is unexcelled.
Major William Horton, officer of Oglethorpe’s Regiment, had his plantation here. Later, Jekyll Island was owned by Clement Martin and by Richard Leake. After the Revolutionary War, the island was owned by Poulain duBignon and his descendants for a century. In 1886, after a world-wide search for a beautiful, healthy, quiet, and private vacation site, a group of America’s wealthiest men purchased Jekyll Island. For 56 years (1886-1942), members of the exclusive Jekyll Island Club relaxed on the island.
The State of Georgia bought Jekyll Island from the Club in 1947 for a State Park.
Marker was in parkway on road entering island.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.