On this site was the cottage of Joseph Pulitzer, editor of the St. Louis “Post Dispatch” and New York “World”. His bequests established the School (now Graduate School) of Journalism at Columbia University and the Pulitzer Prize program.
After Pulitzer’s death, his 26 room island residence, built in 1903, was purchased by John Joseph Albright, art patron and coal magnate of Buffalo, New York. Among the distinguished guests of the Albrights on Jekyll Island was the English poet Alfred Noyes.
Servants lived in a 12 room separate cottage. This building was bought by Frank L. Goodyear and moved to its present location. He gave it to the Jekyll Island Club as an infirmary and renamed it Goodyear Memorial Infirmary in memory of his mother, Mrs. Josephine L. Goodyear. From January to April, the infirmary was staffed each season by doctors from Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.