Col. William Hazzard
The Hazzard family was one of the Island's most colorful families.
Originally from South Carolina, Revolutionary War veteran Colonel William Hazzard moved to the area and purchased West Point in 1818. This plantation, just north of Frederica, became the home of Hazzard's oldest son Colonel William Wigg Hazzard.
Nine years later the younger son, Dr. Thomas Fuller Hazzard bought the Pike's Bluff property that adjoined West Point to the north. The family now owned much of the north end of St. Simons Island. Very active in church activities, they also served as representatives to Georgia's House of Representatives, enjoyed competing in their racing boats Shark and Comet, and frequently went hunting with their pack of deer hounds. Both were also noted writers; William Wigg Hazzard's 1825 history of Glynn County is still in print.
In 1838 a boundary dispute resulted in Dr. Thomas Hazzard shooting a young neighbor, John Armstrong Wylly. Tradition has it that although Dr. Hazzard was acquitted of any crime, the family was so ostracized by the other planter families that they built their own family chapel on West Point--which became known as "The Pink Chapel" because of the lichen-based discoloration on its tabby walls.
Colonel Hazzard's son, Captain William Miles Hazzard, commanded the local Confederate Army detachment during the Civil War. With nine troops and a slave named Henry, he burned the U.S. Navy headquarters on the occupied St. Simons.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.