Overlook Park Information Pavillion
1736. In 1736, English colonists and soldiers under the leadership of General James Oglethorpe built the town of Frederica on St. Simons Island, creating a barrier settlement to discourage Spanish encroachment on what was then English territory. John and Charles Wesley, founders of the Methodist Church, gave sermons under the oaks. (Courtesy of Fort Frederica National Monument)
1771. The town of Brunswick founded in 1771 by the Council of the Royal Province of Georgia, on land owned by Captain Mark Carr. Streets and parks were named for the Royal Family and British Parliament. The first courthouse was commissioned in 1787; the current courthouse, shown here, was built in 1829. (Photo courtesy of Coastal Georgia Historical Society)
1886. A group of wealthy industrialists, with such well-known names as Rockerfeller, Morgan and Vanderbilt, formed the Jekyll Island Club and acquired the entire island to be used for an exclusive winter retreat for their families. The State of Georgia purchased the island in 1947 from the Jekyll Island Club. (Photo courtesy of the Jekyll Island Authority)
1924. The F.J. Torras Causeway opens, connecting Brunswick and St. Simons Island. In 1926, Howard Coffin, an automobile magnate, purchased Long Island and Renamed it Glynn Isles. It is known today as Sea Island. (Photo courtesy of Coastal Georgia Historical Society)
1943. NAS Glynco, in northern Glynn County, is built as a base for blimps protecting ships from U-Boat attacks. The base operated for 32 years as a training facility for the Navy and Marines. When Glynco was closed in 1975, the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center was established on part of the former base. (Photo courtesy Wanda Taylor and David Gill)
7/20/2006 The courthouse shown on the sign is not the current courthouse, it is the Glynn County Historic Courthouse.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.