Find by Alpha: A,
Ships for Victory
During World War II, Brunswick shipyards bustled with activity critical to America's war efforts. Between 1943 and 1945, the shipyard built 99 vessels, destined for duty in the Atlantic and Pacific, loaded with equipment and supplies. The dedication of the men and women of the Brunswick shipyards was best exemplified during December, 1944. Receiving word that six ships would be required during that month, the shipyard workers, instead, guaranteed seven and requested that they not be paid for the extra work required, including work done on Christmas Day! Today, a 23-foot replica of a Liberty Ship - the City of Brunswick - is displayed on the grounds of the Mary L. Ross Waterfront Park in downtown Brunswick. The replica is the result of a community-wide, four-year fundraising effort led by the local Navy League.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.