Plantation Era on Jekyll Island
On November 28, 1858, fifty years after the importation of slaves to the United States was made illegal, the ship The Wanderer landed on Jekyll Island with 465 slaves. This was the last shipment of slaves to Georgia soil from Africa.
However, by 1860 there was a great decline in the productivity on Jekyll. By 1862 when Union Army troops arrived, the Dubignon plantation was completely deserted. After the American Civil War ended, the Dubignon family returned to the island. Henri Charles divided the island up between his four children.
In the late 1870s John Eugene Dubignon became owner of property on the island. He had bought the southern third of the island from his uncle's estate, intending to establish a home there.
To advertise on this web site, call Todd Gwynn at (912) 399-0209.